A real-world learning experience
The UBC Portfolio Management Foundation (PMF) provides a small group of select BCom students with an experience that will open the door to a career in the global capital markets.
Our students take advantage of access to the best investment professionals within and outside of Canada to prepare for careers in investment banking, research, sales and trading, and money management. PMF graduates work in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, Oslo and elsewhere and they stay actively involved in the program as mentors and supporters.
A 2-year extra-curricular program for top undergraduates
- Students admitted at the beginning of Year Two of UBC BCom
- Activities are above and beyond BCOM course curriculum
- PMF requires its members to take 3 specific elective courses: COMM 459, 474 and 475
Provides training for a career in the global capital markets
- Money management careers
- Research (stock and bond) careers
- Trading (stocks, bonds, commodities, derivatives) careers
- Investment banking careers
Two summer internships are involved
- First internship is between years 2 and 3, in Toronto
- Second internship is between years 3 and 4 in Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, San Francisco, New York or London
Active management of a $9 million portfolio provides returns to support the Sauder School of Business
- Students make all portfolio decisions within broad guidelines set by the Client Committee
- Students report to the Client Committee, to explain and defend their decisions, every two months
"To be part of their growth allows me to grow as well."