A 2-year extra-curricular program for top undergraduates
- Students admitted at the beginning of Year Two of UBC BCom
- Activities are above and beyond BCOM course curriculum
- PMF requires its members to take 3 specific elective courses: COMM 459, 474 and 475
Provides training for a career in the global capital markets
- Money management careers
- Research (stock and bond) careers
- Trading (stocks, bonds, commodities, derivatives) careers
- Investment banking careers
Two summer internships are involved
- First internship is between years 2 and 3, in Toronto
- Second internship is between years 3 and 4 in Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, San Francisco, New York or London
Active management of a $9 million portfolio provides returns to support the Sauder School of Business
- Students make all portfolio decisions within broad guidelines set by the Client Committee
- Students report to the Client Committee, to explain and defend their decisions, every two months
View full Program Overview >
Professionalism and ethical behavior are critical elements of a capital markets career. Reputations, and careers, are built or destroyed by ethical choices made by industry participants.
The PMF adapted the Merrill Lynch Principles for defining required behavior:
Respect for oneself will allow for making the right choices, no matter how difficult. A reputation for ethical action must be earned everyday through honesty, accountability and compliance with professional standards.
Respect for the Individual
Respecting your teammates requires an open and honest relationship built on understanding and dignity.
Respect for the team will allow each member to place team goals above the individual and encourage group involvement and responsibility for success and failure.
Respect for the client will allow attention to the client’s needs, demonstrated over the course of a long-term relationship.
Showing respect for all those in one’s community will make the PMF a valued, contributing member of the local community.
Learn about the program's history >