Real Estate Division

ELPR Exemption: Graduated from a Degree Program

You can meet the ELPR if you hold a conferred Bachelor’s degree, or higher degree (e.g., Master’s degree) from an accredited university, college or technical institute at which English is the primary language of instruction, from one of these countries.

Canadian institutions require provincial degree-granting accreditation. Degrees from the USA need to be from institutions that hold accreditation through one of the six regional accreditation bodies:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education;
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education;
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools: The Higher Learning Commission;
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools: Commission on Colleges;
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities)

College diplomas and certificate programs, including post-graduate diplomas and certificates, and designations with other professional organizations, do not meet the ELPR.

For International students whose degrees were obtained from countries other than those listed above, such as India, China, or Mexico, CLICK HERE.

Sending transcripts and documentation

Students must provide official copies of transcripts from the educational institution. If official transcripts cannot be obtained, a student may submit a copy of the original degree notarized by a notary public, with their signature and seal. Please note that ELPR documents will not be returned. Therefore, students wishing to keep the original documentation will need to send notarized copies of the original documents.

If your current name does not match the name on the transcript, you must submit proof of your name change to the Real Estate Division, showing both the name on your transcript and your current name. The Real Estate Division will accept a copy of a marriage certificate, or copies of two of the following: birth certificate, SIN card, passport, citizenship card, or divorce certificate. If the above documentation is not available, you may submit a notarized affidavit confirming the name change.

Hardcopy Transcripts and Documentation

Transcripts, and change of name documentation (if applicable), for ELPR exemptions should be sent to the Real Estate Division by regular mail (NOT courier) to:

Mailing Address:
ELPR Documentation
Real Estate Division, Licensing Education
The University of British Columbia
PO Box 5380 Station Terminal
Vancouver, BC V6B 5N4

All students must include a current email address so the Division can contact you if necessary. If you have already registered for a course, please also include your student number.

Electronic Official Degree Transcripts

Official degree transcripts will be accepted by secure, password-controlled electronic transfer if an educational institution is able to offer this secure transfer option. Official degree transcripts must be sent directly to

Please note that due to the evolving COVID-19 situation, document processing may be delayed. Please allow 15 business days for mail delivery to our office and 3-5 business days once documentation has been received. You may check the ELPR box on your Course Welcome webpage to see that the ELPR has been met. We will contact you only if needed.

Image of woman with a headset talking