This is a scheduled online course that is completed over 30 weeks. The weekly work typically includes reading one or more chapters and completing a multiple choice assignment. There are two term projects required and the course ends with a written online examination.
- Course Description for BUSI 497
- Learning Objectives for BUSI 497 - detailed competencies to be achieved from this course.
Lesson No. 1: Appraisal Process and Course Expectations
Lesson No. 2: Critical Thought
Lesson No. 3: Principles of Research
Lesson No. 4: Market Research and Subject Property Identification
Lesson No. 5: Data Analysis and Tools
Lesson No. 6: Report Writing - General
Lesson No. 7: Title Searching: Land Titles Office and Registry Office Information
Lesson No. 8: Regional and Area Analysis, and Neighbourhood Analysis
Lesson No. 9: Site and Improvements Description, and Assessment and Taxes
Lesson No. 10: Zoning/Land Use Controls and Highest and Best Use
Lesson No. 11: Cost Approach - Land Value
Lesson No. 12: Cost Approach - Cost Analysis
Lesson No. 13: Cost Approach - Depreciation Analysis and Summary of the Cost Approach
Lesson No. 14: Direct Comparison Approach
Lesson No. 15: Income Approach - Income and Expense Analysis
Lesson No. 16: Income Approach - Capitalization Process and Summary of the Income Approach
Lesson No. 17: Reconciliation, Certification, and Introduction
Lesson No. 18: Summary and Linkages
Lesson No. 19: Submission of the Narrative Appraisal Report
15 assignments: 50% of final grade.
Final assignment: 50% of final grade.
Textbook sold separately: Appraisal of Real Estate (3rd Canadian Edition). Can be purchased directly from the Real Estate Division's Online Bookstore.
- Lesson 4: Selecting Your Subject Property. Choosing an appropriate subject is crucial; you can review this lesson for the requirements and start thinking about this in advance.
- Document Fees: Students are responsible for additional fees, potentially up to several hundred dollars, for documents such as title searches for the subject property and comparables, corporate registry searches, costing reports, surveys and maps, and so on.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about BUSI 398/497/499 .