Lesson No. 1 - Statistical Foundations for Real Estate Analysis
Lesson No. 2 - Statistical Software Applications for Real Estate Analysis
Lesson No. 3 - Exploratory Data Analysis
Lesson No. 4 - Market Identification and Property Characterization
Lesson No. 5 - Statistical Analysis and Computer Applications Case Studies
Lesson No. 6 - Basics of Model Building
Lesson No. 7 - Model Building using Multiple Regression Analysis
Lesson No. 8 - Comprehensive Model Building – Data Screening and Testing
Lesson No. 9 - Automated Valuation Models (AVMs)
Lesson No. 10 - Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
General Objective: Introduce statistical and computer applications appropriate to valuation work, in all areas of real estate practice. Course will cover theory and principles, illustrations and examples of practical application, plus case studies requiring hands-on computer work (e.g., SPSS/PASW, NCSS, Excel).
Course structure: Weekly multiple choice assignments (10% of final grade), two term projects (40% of final grade, in total), and a final examination (50%).
Prerequisites: No mandatory prerequisites. Recommend BUSI 121 and BUSI 330.
Software: Requires Microsoft Excel and either SPSS/PASW or NCSS. See the Statistical Software page for more information.
Weekly multiple choice assignments: 10% of final grade.
Project 1: Statistical and Computer Valuation Applications (15% of final grade)
Project 2: Valuation Modelling Case Study (25% of final grade)
Final exam: Multiple choice and short-answer, written questions (50% of final grade)