A journey of academic discovery
Research and collaboration are at the heart of the UBC PhD program. Here, you will be equipped with the in-depth knowledge, communication skills, and immersive research capabilities you’ll need to be at the forefront of your discipline.
Right from the outset of the program, you will receive individualized attention, guidance, and mentorship from our faculty. Not only will they enrich your knowledge and build your skillset, our faculty will be your support network as you as you integrate yourself into a vibrant academic community.
What you will learn
The UBC PhD program attracts some of the world’s sharpest, most curious minds who, over the course of the program, sharpen their skills and deepen their knowledge. Upon graduating from the UBC PhD program, you will:
- Have in-depth knowledge of the process of scientific discovery and the Philosophy of Science (epistemology), which you will be able to apply to your research discipline.
- Be a skilled communicator with the ability to share your knowledge and expertise effectively with a variety of audiences. You will be able to present your findings at a research seminar or a conference, to teach a complete course effectively, and be able to publish in the academic genre of your discipline.
- Have the appropriate analytical research foundation for your chosen area of specialization, and you will be able to apply your analytical knowledge and skills to research problems in that area.
- Have an in-depth understanding of leading research within your chosen area of specialization, and you will be able to enrich and advance that body of knowledge through deep analysis and synthesis of research problems and findings.
UBC PhD graduates go on to become innovative scholars in their respective field, working at research-oriented universities around the world.
PhD graduates have academic positions at:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Columbia University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Queen's University
- University of Chicago
- University of Hong Kong
- University of Michigan
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Toronto
"The PhD Program was a great experience that lead me to become that researcher that I am today, with a great position after graduation."