Applicants from a university outside of Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Acceptable English language proficiency tests for applicants to the PhD Program are:
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum score of 100 (internet version) or 250 (computer version) or 600 (paper version).
UBC requires an official score to be sent to us electronically directly from the test centre/ETS.
On the TOEFL score request form you will be asked to specify the receiving institutions where you would like the results being sent to. To ensure UBC receives your results correctly, you have to use the following details:
- In the electronic score request form in your ETS manager, use institution code 0965 and pick "Graduate Organization" in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- If you use a paper request form, use institution code 0965 and institution name "University of British Columbia"
- Both electronic and paper form ask for a department name/code. Either pick the value of an appropriate fit to your study area or 99 for other.
- If you are asked to give a reason for taking the TOEFL test then select/enter: "to enter a college or university as a graduate student"
IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing Service): minimum overall band score of 7.0 with no other component score less than 6.5.
UBC requires an official score to be sent to us electronically from the test centre.
On the IELTS application form you will be asked to specify institutions where you would like the results being sent to. To ensure UBC receives your results correctly, you have to use the following details on the application:
- Name and address of college / institution / university: University of British Columbia - Graduate School Admissions
- Address: 170-6371 Crescent Road, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery): minimum overall score of 84. Please arrange to have the official scores sent from the testing agency to PhD Program.
Because of the rigorous nature of the doctoral program, a student cannot expect to develop significant skills at the same time courses are being taken. English proficiency is necessary.