- Challenges of leading a unionized workforce
- The legal and collective agreement context; key principles shaping rights and obligations in the employment relationship
- Understanding union culture and attitudes
- Handling relations with union representatives: avoiding distractions and digressions, being pro-active
- Responding effectively to grievances: investigating grievances, grievance negotiations
- Positive approaches to performance management and discipline: identifying expectations and performance gaps, giving feedback, just cause for discipline
- Daily chores: scheduling, defining and assigning work
This highly interactive course will incorporate discussions, case studies, group exercises, videos, simulations and personal assessment exercises.