Module 1: Financial Oversight
- Key regulatory and investor trends that are changing financial oversight expectations of directors, boards and audit committees
- Implications of recent guidance on fiduciary duty and materiality to oversight responsibility
- The impact of new disclosure requirements and reporting frameworks on the composition, structure and work of boards
- Guest speaker: Chartered accountant and sustainability expert Roopa Davé is Partner, Sustainability and Impact Services at KPMG.
Module 2: Risk Oversight
- The growing impact of new corporate risks, from technology to climate change
- Common decision traps and failures of reasoning as boardroom risk
- Intuitive vs. analytical approaches to decision making: benefits and trade-offs of each
- Reflection exercise: Director value assessment
- Guest speaker: Dr. Dale Griffin, UBC Sauder School of Business Professor, is an internationally recognized strategic decision making expert.
Module 3: Governance Best Practice
- Environmental and social responsibility and its effect on corporate governance
- Litigation and legal developments impacting boardrooms
- Evaluating director value driven by board calendars, agenda design, record keeping and the allocation of decision-making time
- Getting the board you need to meet evolving challenges through recruitment and development
- Reflection exercise: Committees value assessment
- Guest speaker: Corporate and securities lawyer Ravipal Bains is a Senior Associate at McMillian LLP and climate governance expert with the Canada Climate Law initiative.
Module 4: Where Governance is Headed Next
- Indigenous rights and the reconciliation imperative
- The Rise of Purpose Governance
- Stakeholder capitalism and calls for corporate governance reform
Reflection exercise: Board value assessment
- Guest speaker: Mark Podlasly is the Director, Economic Policy of the First Nations Major Project Coalition and a Trustee of an Indigenous Sovereign Wealth Fund.
To expand real-world application of the content, you will engage in interactive reflection exercises with your peers. You will also hear from renowned professional experts who will share with you their unique insights and experiences.