Approximately 71,993 exams since 2010
Since 2010, a number of UBC Sauder courses have utilized online assessments for their midterm or final exams. The table below contains some examples of past exams:
|COMM 126: Data: Description, Display and Inference||hybrid exam consisting of complex fill in the blanks questions online, and paper-based drawings.|
|COMM 290: Introduction to Quantitative Decision Making||An exam consisting of multiple choice, fill in the blanks, true/false, and jumbled sentence (used as drop-down lists) questions. Includes “spreadsheet” questions that mimic the look of Excel.|
|COMM 291: Applications of Statistics in Business||An exam consisting of multiple choice, multiple answers, fill in the blanks, and jumbled sentence questions. (Our biggest exam - it was taken simultaneously by 1273 students.)|
|COMM 293: Financial Accounting||An objective-based exam with complex fill in the blanks, jumbled sentence (i.e. drop-down lists in complex tables), calculated formula, and multiple-choice questions. COMM 293 is our longest running exam - the instructor, Patti Mallia, has been using online assessments since 2010.|
|COMM 294: Managerial Accounting||A hybrid exam consisting of objective-based complex fill in the blanks and calculated formula questions, as well as paper-based calculations.|
|COMM 294: Managerial Accounting||A "Take-Home" exam with complex fill in the blanks, calculated and multiple choice questions.|
|COMM 363: Marketing Analysis||A case analysis-based exam with short answers and essay questions.|
|COMM 390: Business Writing||An office simulation "non-exam" - file submitted to Turnitin or Connect.|
|COMM 392: Managing the Employment Relationship||First exam to include embedded rich media as part of the exam questions.|
|COMM 458: Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting||An exam with complex fill in the blanks, calculated and multiple choice questions.|
|COMM 465: Marketing Management||A hybrid exam consisting of online multiple choice and fill in the blanks questions, as well as paper-based paragraph questions.|
|COMM 473: Business Finance||An exam with fill in the blanks, short answer questions and file response (i.e. students upload an Excel spreadsheet).|
|BAAC 500: Financial Reporting||An exam consisting of complex fill in the blanks, calculated and paragraph questions.|
|BASC 550: Operations and Logistics
BABS 540: Data Utilization
|An exam consisting of multiple choice, fill in the blanks, true/false, and jumbled sentence questions, as well as some manually-graded short-answer and file response questions.|
The benefits that can be leveraged from using online exams include:
- Student's ability to move and manipulate their responses across questions.
- A centralized, digital repository of submitted exams that can improve security and ease distributed grading.
- An easy process to create multiple exam versions.
- Randomized questions from question sets to ensure students have near-unique exam versions.
- Randomized response orders for multiple choice questions.
- Randomized variables for equation-based questions.
- Ability to link to Internet-based materials and various files (e.g. Excel, PDF, Access, images) in exam questions.
- Ability to embed video, web forms, applets, graphing tools and other interactive rich media directly into an exam.
- Numerous automatically graded question types that reduce grading time.
- An environmentally-friendly reduction of paper used.
Online exams are planned, designed and implemented by the Learning Services team, who collaborate with Faculty to produce online exams. Rob Peregoodoff and Barish Golland lead the coordination, logistics and overall supervision of the online exams at the UBC Sauder School of Business. Maga Kijak is responsible for designing assessments and creating exam questions.