Please see below the answers to many Frequently Asked Questions concerning the UBC IMBA program, from prospective students.
- Does the International MBA conduct all teaching in Shanghai?
The UBC IMBA is a part-time MBA program offered by UBC Sauder's Robert H. Lee Graduate School in partnership with the Antai College of Economics and Management at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. All the teaching is done in Shanghai except the study trip to Vancouver.
- I’m a Canadian working in China. Can I complete part of the courses in Vancouver if I decide to return to Canada half way in the IMBA program?
You need to complete the eight foundation courses in Shanghai, after which you can apply for taking courses in Vancouver provided you satisfy the academic requirements.
- What is the duration of the International MBA Program?
The International MBA is 20 months in duration. For program structure, please look here
- What is the total tuition fee for the Program?
You can find the tuition here and you can find a breakdown of expenses here.
- What are the minimum requirements for applying?
Bachelor's degree* with a B+ (76%) average or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution.**
* Generally, a four-year degree is required. Three-year Bachelor’s are accepted from Australia, New Zealand, U.K., and Europe. Refer to this page for details on each country.
**If the applicant has sufficient professional experience or presents sufficiently high GMAT/GRE scores, a lower average may be accepted, subject to approval by the Director of the Robert H. Lee Graduate School.
Minimum 2 years of full-time work experience gained after graduation from a Bachelor’s degree.
An English Proficiency Exam score will be required unless the official medium of instruction for your degree program was English. Please note that in this
case your transcript and/or degree certificate must indicate that the language of instruction for the entire degree was in English.
- Is it mandatory to provide my GMAT/GRE scores?
There is no minimum GMAT score but normally the applicants have a score of at least 550, with, at minimum, 50th percentile in each category. GRE normally
requires 150 in each category.
Applicants with high GPA with quantitative background or relevant career training in quantitative areas can apply for GMAT waiver, subject to approval of
the admission committee.
- What is the class schedule?
Classes are delivered at the SJTU campus every three to four weekends, as follows:
Friday 3:30pm – 10:00pm
Saturday 9:00am – 5:00 pm
Sunday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Each course is delivered over one weekend, with the course’s exam usually scheduled on the first day of the next course. For more details, please look here.
- I am interested in the UBC IMBA Program - how can I speak to an advisor?
If you would like to book an advising appointment, please write an email to us or you can make a phone call to make appointment.
Tel: +86.21.6293 2604
- What is the location of the Shanghai campus?
The classroom is conveniently located at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Xu Jia Hui Campus,
1954 Huashan Road, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
- Do you have financial incentives or scholarships?
Yes, the details can be found here.
- Can we apply for a loan to pay the tuition?
Yes, you can apply for student loans from banks. More information will be given upon admission.
- What is the proportion of international students to Chinese students in a class?
The proportion of international students in 2016 admission was 17.65%.
- I’m not a Chinese national - do you support student visas to China?
This is a part-time program - therefore, we do not support student visa applications to China.
- Can I apply for UBC IMBA if I don’t work in China?
If you travel to Shanghai frequently and our teaching schedule fits you, we welcome you to apply for the UBC IMBA program.