- Storytelling as a leadership tool: when and why to use storytelling, tapping into your unique stories, sharing a story about yourself and your challenges as a storyteller
- Creating a story script: identifying your message, creating a story in five sentences, elaborating your story to suit the audience and opportunity, reverse-engineering a story, using the Story Spine as a guide to craft your own story for an upcoming communication opportunity
- Using literary language: painting a vivid picture, classic storytelling techniques, creating metaphors, exercises to enhance the language of your stories
- Telling your story with presence: telling stories authentically by building on your strengths, developing your voice to convey emotion, using your body, videotaped session and coaching on your presence
- Putting storytelling into action: identifying opportunities to tell stories in-the-moment, selecting a story to suit your objective, strategies for weaving stories into your conversations, guided practice in creating stories on the fly
This course emphasizes practical, applied learning. You will engage in activities designed to develop your storytelling skill set, and you will receive individual feedback from the course instructor.
This course is for leaders at all levels who wish to complement their leadership communication skills with storytelling.
“As a trial lawyer, it is my job to weave my clients' cases into powerful stories. With the tools I learned, I have more structure to refine what I have already been doing. I feel like a door has opened and revealed a sparkling world of possibilities. I see opportunities to use these skills everywhere, and left the course feeling empowered to use them.”
McComb Witten Marcoux