- Determining your presentation’s purpose: analyzing your audience and opportunity, deciding what kind of presentation and visuals you need to build
- Determining the best structure for proving your message, using the Leader’s Script® to create your outline
- Thinking visually: creating clear and logical slides, ensuring all visuals convey information rather than empty graphics, when to use text vs. when to use images, storyboarding your outlines
- Lights, camera, action: channelling your nerves, videotaping your script
- Achieving a leader’s presence: projecting confidence, pacing the message, expression and body language, identifying your strengths and areas for development
- Mastering Q&As: techniques for handling Q&A scenarios, anticipating and scripting responses to challenging questions
- Presenting on the fly: deconstructing complex ideas into their essential elements, scripting yourself in the moment, making an impact when presenting virtually
The workshop format provides ample opportunities for hands-on practice. You will work on scripts for an upcoming presentation or re-do an old presentation, and receive feedback on your speaking notes, slides and delivery skills. The program also includes videotaping and review of the course footage.
Note: while every course from The Humphrey Group is unique, there will be overlap in the communications methodology that underpins the learning. Please speak to an advisor at 604.822.8400 if you plan to attend this after taking a previous Humphrey Group course.
This course is for leaders at all levels who wish to develop their presentation skills.
"I cannot say enough about how valuable this course was in helping to break down the key elements of an effective presentation to be a stronger communicator. The instructors were incredibly knowledgeable and gave us a great set of tools that we can take away and apply in our lives and professions. Great course!”
Media Relations and Government Affairs Advisor
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority
"One of the best courses I have ever taken! I would recommend this course to any professional without hesitation."
Research & Development Officer
College of Physicians and Surgeons
"An excellent, practical course that anyone, at any level, can benefit from!"
This was one of the best courses I have ever taken. I left the course feeling far more confident in my abilities as a presenter and leader.”
“This program offered effective and clear advice on how to maximize communication opportunities, with a focus on presentations but applicable in most interactions. Useful tools, a variety of tactics and an abundance of practical tips - I will be applying what I've learned frequently in the future.”
Director of Operations
BC Innovation Council
"A great hands-on way to look at presentations and public speaking. The mix of theory and practice was ideal and I enjoyed hearing the real-world stories from the instructors and my fellow classmates. Seeing oneself presenting on video was very powerful too. I enjoyed these two days.”
Vice President & General Manager
Concord Security Corp.
“I very much enjoyed this course, learning how to better interact with an audience, to inspire thought-provoking meetings or presentations.”
Dan MacDonald, P. Eng.
MSE Divisional Manager
“This is a transformational course, bringing great added-value in the business world but also in day-to-day life. In a nutshell, every communication is an opportunity to shape beliefs and inspire a call to action! Strongly recommended.”
Customer Engagement Strategies Manager
Port Metro Vancouver
“Presenting as a Leader was a complete program on helping leaders to understand and deliver presentations. It provided a tip-to-tail structure and material to get better on a critical component of leadership.”
Manager of Business Services
Workers’ Compensation Board
"I received some valuable tools and techniques that I can employ in my everyday communications. After completing the course, I feel confident in delivering my message. Thanks for a great two days."
Director, Risk Management
Vancity Credit Union