Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I take UBC Diploma in Accounting Program courses even if I do not intend to complete the full program?
Yes. Applicants pursuing the CPA accounting designation who are not interested in completing the UBC Diploma in Accounting credential are welcome to apply and take only courses needed.
- What is the typical Course Load?
Students can take up to 5 courses in each term of the Winter Session and up to 3 courses in each term of the Summer Session according to their needs and schedule. There is no set timetable for the program.
Scheduling and Duration of Program
- How long does it take to complete the full program and earn the UBC Diploma in Accounting credential?
Students can finish in as few as 12 months or as many as 24 months according to their needs and schedule. Most students complete the program in 16 to 18 months.
- Can I pursue the UBC Diploma in Accounting Program on a part-time basis?
Yes. Most courses in the UBC DAP program are held in the evenings during the week from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm with some classes held on Saturdays and online. This flexibility makes it possible for students to continue to work while studying if desired.
- Where can I access the UBC DAP program schedule?
The UBC DAP course schedule can be found here.
Admission Requirements and Exemptions
- Is it possible to enter the program without having completed any undergraduate business courses?
Yes. Students are accepted from any undergraduate academic discipline. Prior business or accounting related coursework is not required for admission to the program and the diversity of students in the classroom enriches the experience.
- Can I apply to the program while completing my final term of undergraduate studies?
Yes. Students from Canadian and American universities completing the remaining one to five courses of their degree program may be considered for early admission on a conditional basis. At time of application, they must provide official academic transcripts along with a letter from a faculty advisor indicating the number of credits outstanding and anticipated graduation date.
- I have completed coursework equivalent to some of the UBC Diploma in Accounting Foundation level courses. Can I apply for exemption?
Yes. If you have completed a course of equivalent content and rigour to a UBC DAP Foundation level course, an exemption may be granted. This will only be applicable for course completed at a recognized Canadian or American university or college within the last 10 years with a minimum grade of 65% or C+.. Applicants must apply for exemption at time of application. Please refer to the Course Exemptions page for more information on required documentation.
- What are the UBC DAP English language proficiency requirements?
An English language proficiency exam, either TOEFL or IELTS Academic, is required for all candidates whose degrees are from a university outside of Canada or the USA in which English was not the official language of instruction. Applicants pursuing TOEFL must achieve an overall score of 90, with 22 in reading and listening, and 21 in writing and speaking. Applicants pursuing IELTS must achieve an overall score of 6.5 with no part less than 6.0. Only tests written within 24 months prior to submission of an application are accepted. Official test results must be sent directly from the testing centre to the UBC Diploma in Accounting office.
- Where should I submit official copies of my transcripts?
Submit official copies of transcripts to the following mailing address:
Diploma in Accounting Program
UBC Sauder School of Business
Henry Angus Building, Room 247
2053 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
- Under what circumstances would UBC DAP request additional information or verification of degree recognition?
On occasion, when there’s insufficient information on a degree or post-secondary institution, at our discretion, we may require applicants to provide us with additional information. In some circumstances we may require an evaluation from ICES (International Credential Evaluation Services). For more information, contact DAP Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.822.8412.
Quantitative Skills Required in the Program
- My quantitative skills are rusty. What can I do to prepare myself for the demands of the program?
The Quantitative Methods Preparatory Course offered in late April/early May, late August and late December/early January is designed to prepare students whose quantitative skills are limited to meet the demands of the Program. For individuals who have not completed prior economic and statistics courses, participation in the QM Preparation Course is strongly recommended.
Professional Designations and Certificates
- Will the UBC Diploma in Accounting Program prepare me for entry into the new Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Professional Education Program?
Yes. UBC DAP is officially recognized by CPABC.The Program’s 11 required courses are pre-requisites and are directly transferable for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program.
- What is meant by the term “legacy program”?
The term “legacy program” refers to the Professional Education Programs still being offered by the three original accounting bodies, CA, CMA and CGA. Until June 2017, students can also meet the CPA PEP course requirements by following one of the CA, CGA or CMA legacy program pre-requisite pathways.
- Will a UBC Diploma in Accounting prepare me for a CPA (US) designation?
Yes. The pre-requisites and eligibility requirements vary from state to state, so interested students should contact the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) for more information.
- Can I use my UBC DAP credits to fulfill the prerequisite requirements for the new Advanced Certificate in Accounting and Finance, offered through CPA Canada?
Yes, credits earned in the UBC DAP program fulfill the pre-requisite requirements for ACAF. For more information, consult with the program transfer credit guide.