May 27th to June 10th, 2019
Blockchain@UBC is pleased to offer our third annual Blockchain@UBC Summer Institute, an intensive program designed to provide undergraduates and graduates from any discipline with advanced and specialized training in blockchain and distributed ledger technologies (DLTs). Students from other universities and non-students may also apply.
In collaboration with our industry and academic partners, we offer a wide range of topics, including: basic blockchain architecture and operations, privacy, security and trust and Bitcoin/blockchains/DLTs, emerging international standards and use cases, technical knowledge on the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Hyperledger Fabric, and Hyperledger Indy platforms, and understanding of blockchain and DLTs in social, economic, legal and political contexts.
Participants will benefit from exposure to industry professionals, insights into a wide range of blockchain-related topics, and hands-on experience in designing and developing blockchain-based solutions. The objectives of the Summer Institute for our participants are to:
- Gain a deep understanding of blockchain and distributed ledger technologies (DLT) from academic and industry experts.
- Critically reflect the impact of blockchain on society and apply DLT to real world problems.
- Engage with leading industry players and build a professional network in the blockchain community.
- Critically reflect on the impact of blockchain technology on society.
Once registered, students will be sent a “preparation pack” for each of the sessions for which they have registered. These will list readings and/or software to be referenced and used in each session.
The two weeks of training sessions culminate in a two-day “Blockathon” on June 8-9, followed by the Blockchain@UBC Annual Conference on June 10. The Blockathon is sponsored by the partners of Blockchain@UBC, in which summer program participants, community members, and mentors will work as members of teams to design and prototype blockchain solutions for social good and community well-being.
The Annual Conference at UBC Robson Square will feature presentations by expert academics on various topics in blockchain and DLT, and culminate with our second annual "TALENT + INNOVATION" showcase.
- Summer Institute Training Sessions (May 27th - June 7th)
- Blockathon (June 8th - 9th)
- Annual Conference (June 10th)
For more details and to register, please visit the Blockchain@UBC page here.