Job Title: Impact Investing Intern
Position type: 3-4 month paid summer internship
About the Centre for Social Innovation & Impact Investing
The Centre for Social Innovation & Impact Investing (SauderS3i) is focused on leveraging business tools to advance social innovation and sustainability, through research, incubation, and application. SauderS3i defines social innovation as a new approach, which fosters initiatives that contribute to solving existing social, cultural, economic, political, and environmental challenges.
Our mission is to develop and incubate viable solutions to pressing social and environmental challenges facing the world through applied research.
About the position:
We are looking to hire a versatile, energetic, results-driven impact investing intern for the period of May to August 2018. This position is open to current students or those who will be graduating in Spring 2018. The intern will work out of our UBC Vancouver office in the CIRS building. This internship is an opportunity to be part of a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment and to learn from other interns and social entrepreneurs.
The impact investing initiative at SauderS3i is focused on two primary initiatives:
- Providing research for the Pacific Impact Investor Network (www.piin.ca), a network of western Canadian impact investors.
- Support an Impact Seed Fund that will invest in early stage social ventures emerging from the Canadian social innovation market.
Scope of internship:
The intern will undertake applied research on an impact investing theme or topic. Examples of topics that may be assigned include:
- Financing needs from Canadian early-stage ventures
- Assessing early-stage investment funds and ventures for financial viability and impact potential
- Market overviews in various sectors (e.g. clean energy, health, education)
The internship will involve secondary desktop research as well as primary research in the form of in-person and telephone interviews with fund managers, investors and entrepreneurs.
We are seeking an intern who:
- Demonstrates a high level of self-motivation, responsibility, and organization
- Is enthusiastic, positive, creative, flexible, and dependable
- Has demonstrated ability to perform research and data analysis
- Has demonstrated interest in social enterprise and impact investing
- Is outgoing and able to engage with people for interviews
- Possesses excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Works well independently and as part of a team
Application: Please apply to Bruno Lam with a resume, cover letter and recent educational transcripts. Applications should be emailed to: SauderS3i@sauder.ubc.ca
Due to the high volume of applications only selected candidates will be contacted.
Approximate start date: May 2, 2018
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until midnight March 11, 2018.
Download the job description