A 2-year extra-curricular program for top undergraduates
- Students admitted at the beginning of Year Two of UBC BCom
- Activities are above and beyond BCOM course curriculum
- PMF requires its members to take 3 specific elective courses: COMM 459, 474 and 475
Provides training for a career in the global capital markets
- Money management careers
- Research (stock and bond) careers
- Trading (stocks, bonds, commodities, derivatives) careers
- Investment banking careers
Two summer internships are involved
- First internship is between years 2 and 3, in Toronto
- Second internship is between years 3 and 4 in Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, San Francisco, New York or London
Active management of a $9 million portfolio provides returns to support the Sauder School of Business
- Students make all portfolio decisions within broad guidelines set by the Client Committee
- Students report to the Client Committee, to explain and defend their decisions, every two months
View full Program Overview >
Professionalism and ethical behavior are critical elements of a capital markets career. Reputations, and careers, are built or destroyed by ethical choices made by industry participants.
The PMF adapted the Merrill Lynch Principles for defining required behavior:
Respect for oneself will allow for making the right choices, no matter how difficult. A reputation for ethical action must be earned everyday through honesty, accountability and compliance with professional standards.
Respect for the Individual
Respecting your teammates requires an open and honest relationship built on understanding and dignity.
Respect for the team will allow each member to place team goals above the individual and encourage group involvement and responsibility for success and failure.
Respect for the client will allow attention to the client’s needs, demonstrated over the course of a long-term relationship.
Showing respect for all those in one’s community will make the PMF a valued, contributing member of the local community.
Learn about the program's history >
REVISED (FOR SEP 2018) PMF ADMISSIONS SCHEDULE
We are changing the schedule for admitting new PMF students each year! If you are interested in applying for the PMF, please be aware of the new schedule:
Timeline for the Admission of the PMF Class of 2021
Thu 22 March 2018 - PMF Information Session for Potential Applicants
Wed 5 September 2018 - Application Deadline
Tue 11 September 2018 - Notification of Candidates to be interviewed
Wed 12 September 2018 - Deadline for Notified Candidates to signup for interviews
Week of 17 September 2018 - Interviews, culminating with the choice of the PMF Class of 2021
This new schedule replaces the one used for the previous class’ admission. The reason for the change is the summer internship recruiting schedules for many Canadian banks and money management firms have moved back to the early part of September and October.
The PMF admissions procedure is the same as used previously, just moved back earlier in tim