Is Brand Management the Right Fit for me?
Determining whether brand management is the right fit for you is an important consideration and there are a lot of inaccurate preconceptions about brand management. For example, many people think brand management is all about advertising. In truth, it requires a broad skill set that encompasses every aspect of management and running a business. Whether your primary interest lies in strategy, marketing, finance, accounting, or some other area, we encourage you to consider brand management.
What do companies look for in a candidate?
- Strategic Thinking Capacity: You must prove through your interview and resume that you are able to see the big picture of a project, understand the interconnectivities between its parts, and quickly determine what levers can be pushed or pulled to affect the state of the overall business.
- Analytics: Brand Managers constantly work with a large and diverse amount of data, as all business decisions must be founded in fact. You must prove that you have the ability to analyze and generate an actionable conclusion.
- Leadership & Initiative: You must demonstrate that you can act as a leader who provides clear and motivating direction for your business partners (agency, finance, supply‐chain, sales, legal, trade and other team members).
- Teamwork: Brand Managers work entirely in a team environment. Every project will require you to work with or lead an internal cross‐functional team and/or an external agency team.
- Communication skills: As the brand point person, you must be able to communicate effectively – whether it is to express your opinions in meetings or to present strategies to senior management.
- Passion for Marketing: Your passion for marketing must emanate through your pores in your resume and interview!
What’s it really like?
We’ve provided the files below to give you a sense of what a career in brand management entails. We also encourage you to attend the information session on March 6th where you can talk to people who’ve lived the experience.
Attend the following BMMP info session:
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018 from 12:30-2:00pm in HA 492
Register on COOL