- Embracing your leadership identity: why women often shun the stage, recognizing the value you bring to each audience, your ‘character’ and ‘role’ as a leader
- Applying the leader’s script: developing a clear message, building a persuasive structure, closing with a strong call to action
- The language of leadership: mastering the power of language, speaking with strength without apologizing, minimizing or self-correcting
- Achieving the voice of a leader: common vocal traps that can undermine your leadership, freeing the breath and projecting the power of your voice
- Adopting a leader’s presence: using your physical presence to create power, employing a leader’s body language, eye contact, tone and pace, “looking the part”
- Leading in conversations: active listening, informal and off-the-cuff speaking
- Leading in conflict: taking the right attitude towards conflict, tactics to lead in conflict
Working in small groups, you will create and deliver a well-argued talk that conveys leadership. You will also role-play conversations where you need to inspire action. Your skill development will be enhanced by videotaped feedback and individual guidance by experienced Humphrey Group consultants.
Note: while every course from The Humphrey Group is unique, there will be overlap in the communications methodology that underpins the learning. Please speak to an advisor at 604.822.8400 if you plan to attend this after taking a previous Humphrey Group course.
"The course was an eye-opening experience to recognize behaviours that undermine leadership. I came out of it with specific items that can be easily incorporated in my life to strengthen my leadership and move forward in my career."
Scientist, Protein Engineering
"I found the course to be incredibly inspiring. It has given me a lot of insight into who I am and how I come across to others. This class boosted my confidence and was very encouraging. I would absolutely recommend it to my co-workers and friends.”
HR Advisor, Learning & Development
First West Credit Union
"If you want a course that will hit you in the solar plexus and make you say to yourself: 'WHY didn't anyone tell me this sooner?' - this is the one. You may be faced with issues that are uncomfortable, but the professionalism of the instructors and other participants will allow you to explore in a safe environment. Highly recommended!"
Business Operations Manager
"I thoroughly enjoyed learning how to create clear and inspiring communication, as well as connecting with other female leaders."
PFM Executive Search
"Empowering, practical and engaging, this course will provide every woman with a 'must have' tool - that of clear, concise and powerful communication."
CGA Senior Accountant
"The instructors gave us a high level of energy and clear focus. The tools and exercises drilled home what 'taking the stage' needs to look and feel like. I highly recommend this course; you will want to lean in and 'take the stage' more often!"
Strategic Marketing Consultant
"This course should be mandatory for all women starting their corporate careers--I wish I had taken it years ago!"
Strategic HR Advisor People and Workplace Strategies Branch
Corporate Services for the Natural Resource Sector