- Fundamentals of strategic planning: essential building blocks of all successful strategic planning, common types of strategy and how they are applied in different industries, distinguishing between goals, strategies, tactics, visions and missions
- Strategic analysis: determining what “business” you are really in and your true competitive advantage, analyzing the external environment and its implications for strategy design for your business, assessing direct and indirect competitors, establishing product/market fit by redefining customer segmentation and value propositions for each segment
- Blue Ocean Strategy: identifying where and how to play, to avoid direct competition and achieve cost reductions and increased utility
- Measuring progress: designing a balanced scorecard with appropriate measures for success along several dimensions
- Business model development: developing different business models, tactical vs. strategic influences
- Making strategic decisions
- Cascading from strategic intent to implementation: writing a Strategy Statement
You will perform a strategic analysis for your organization, and draft your own strategic plan.
This course is designed for private or public sector managers who wish to use the strategic planning process as a vehicle for organizational change and performance improvement.
"The course was informative and well presented, with a good variety of background materials. The instruction was excellent---we were kept
engaged for the entire two days."
Director, Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Vancouver Island Health Authority
"This course provided me with many tools that were immediately applicable to my role and my organization. I will be using the various models as part of my regular decision making and strategic planning practices."
Dean, School of Creative Arts
Red Deer College
"Interesting topic with excellent delivery."
Manager, Maintenance Services
Vancouver Airport Authority
"This program was thought-provoking in its overview of different strategy models, and provided me with a practical understanding of how different strategic approaches can be applied in different situations. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others."
Economic Development Officer
District of Mission
"This course exceeded expectations at all touch points. I strongly recommend it to any leader looking to gain practical knowledge and experience for creating strong business strategy. The materials provided give you the specific tools you need to make lasting and impactful change when you return to work.”
Internal Communications & Change Strategy Manager
North Peace Savings & Credit Union
“I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to acquire a practical, relevant and simple-to-use toolset for planning and designing strategy, or who wants to understand what ‘strategy’ really means. I especially appreciated that the material was also made applicable to the public sector.”
Division Manager, Distribution Engineering