- Components of an effective reader-focused message
- Achieving a reader-focused mindset: understanding your readers and how they read, appealing to individual reader styles, writing for multiple reader styles
- Using strategic thinking to plan your writing: identifying your writer's purpose, translating your message into a reader’s purpose
- Writing strategies and tactics: writing with impact to diverse readers, writing best practices, top tactics for creating powerful documents
- Overcoming writer’s block: mapping key ideas before you write, exploring patterns to determine your key components
- Fastwriting the first draft: getting your ideas on paper freely
- Fine-tuning: applying the 5 C’s (clear, concise, consistent, cohesive, current), appealing to readers using the Gunning-Fog Index, energizing the message with language that calls the reader to action
You will engage in hands-on exercises to sharpen your skills in planning, drafting and refining clear, concise messages for emails, letters, briefings and reports. You’ll receive constructive feedback and walk away with specific resources for crafting convincing written messages that engage diverse readers.
Executives and business professionals who want to write with greater power and impact to a diverse readership.
"If you are looking to improve your overall writing skills (and not just from a business sense), this is definitely the course for you. I will certainly be recommending it to all my colleagues."
Red Deer College
"I am confident that after attending this program, I will be able to write with a clear purpose to different audiences."
Legal Services Society
"Gail delivers an engaging, intensive and information packed course! I will be recommending it to others."
Client Services Manager
Constellation Home Builder Systems
"Power Writing for Business Leaders was an exceptionally interesting and effective course for me. The strategies and tactics that it provides really provides a solid foundation for stepping up your business communications and writings, making them more clear, targeted and compelling. This course was a pleasure to take and its benefits will stay with me for a long time."
Sr. QA Manager
Digital Payment Technologies
"This course was a terrific two days. Today I have already used some of the tips I learned. I also recommended the course to three colleagues, who I am certain you will see in the future. Once again, thank you for keeping us going with speed, accuracy and humour."
Communications Specialist, Corporate Relations
"I loved the instructor’s style: engaging, informative and very fun. She presented great content on how to organize ideas and avoid writer’s block."