- Challenges of leading a unionized workforce
- The legal and collective agreement context; key principles shaping rights and obligations in the employment relationship
- Understanding union culture and attitudes
- Handling relations with union representatives: avoiding distractions and digressions, being pro-active
- Responding effectively to grievances: investigating grievances, grievance negotiations
- Positive approaches to performance management and discipline: identifying expectations and performance gaps, giving feedback, just cause for discipline
- Daily chores: scheduling, defining and assigning work
This highly interactive course will incorporate discussions, case studies, group exercises, videos, simulations and personal assessment exercises.
This course is designed for front-line and middle managers responsible for leading unionized production, service and maintenance workforces. Supervisors and managers new to a unionized workplace will find the course particularly beneficial.
“This course provided a great balance between hands-on, interactive discussion and conceptual learning. It is challenging to find a course that provides practical tools for improving communication between union representatives and management, and I think this course delivered.”
Manager of Current Planning
City of Parksville
"This course is valuable for all supervisors and managers with various levels of experience. It is especially beneficial for supervisors who are new to managing a unionized workforce and also for experienced managers wishing to refresh their skills and management style."
Ms. Teddy Forsyth
Manager of Administration
Arts ClubTheatre Company
"An excellent overview of what is needed to operate in a unionized environment."
Director of Human Resources
Three Links Care Centre
"This was a great course. It allows me to plan for an upcoming meeting with our union, to talk about our ‘traditional relationship’ and where we can go in the future."
HR Advisor, Labour Relations
Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
"This course is ideal for front line supervisors who are tasked with managing a unionized workforce. It provides logical and practical solutions that can be used in a variety of fields."