- Federal and provincial employment standards legislation: the Canada Labour Code, the BC Employment Standards Act, etc.
- Written employment contracts: applicable legislation, ensuring the enforceability of agreements, defining employee position and remuneration
- Protection of the employer’s business: intellectual property, written agreements, common law protection against unfair competition, enforceability of restrictive covenants during and after employment termination
- Business transactions and labour relations: asset and share transactions, indemnities, successorship, collective bargaining and contract negotiations, the Workers’ Compensation Act, pension benefits
- Employment termination: just cause and reasonable notice, tort law (wrongful dismissal, defamation, intimidation, misrepresentation, breach of contract, etc.), the dismissal process in union and non-union contexts
- Human rights law: discrimination (unfair hiring practices, sexual harassment, duty to accommodate, etc.), employment and pay equity, drug/alcohol testing, investigating and managing employee complaints ethically
- Emerging issues: vicarious liability, who owns intellectual property created in the workplace, privacy rights--monitoring employee activities on social media, password protection, whistleblower protection
- Strategies for minimizing the risk of employer liability: legislation compliance, writing clear and unequivocal employment provisions, drafting written agreements and policies
This course includes case law studies and questionnaires to drive the learnings home.
"Carman is a very knowledgeable instructor with a vast amount of experience on both the Employer and the Employee sides of the law. It is this well-rounded vision that made his lessons invaluable. Any person managing any level of employee should take this course. It is an absolute must!"
Hollyburn Country Club
"This was an incredible learning experience. Carman is a phenomenal facilitator. He surpassed my expectations and I thank him for his intellectual enrichment abilities."
"I got a lot out of this course. Carman Overholt is a very good speaker and allowed for a lot of questions. Having access to the knowledge a lawyer directly involved in the subject matter was very informative."
"Carman Overholt was outstanding, he knew his subject supremely and had plenty of examples on which to draw."
“Carman is an amazing instructor, who explains everything clearly in a language I can understand. It was great to hear his perspective as a lawyer.”
“Great—open and well prepared. I really enjoyed the class and found the information very helpful as it related to work/personal situations that arise.”