Co-op eligibility and requirements
The Co-op Program recruits second and third year BCom students who are succeeding in their studies and are actively working on their career progression.
What do you need to be eligible?
Students can apply in September or March of their second year or in September of their third year of studies:
- You must have at least two full-time study terms left to complete your degree at the end of third year.
- You must commit to completing a minimum of 3 work terms, one of which must be either in the fall or winter terms, and understand that Co-op will delay your graduation.
- You must have achieved a minimum grade average of 72% (75% for Finance).
*Calculate the average grade for all the post-secondary courses you have completed to date.
Meeting the above requirements does not mean you will be automatically accepted into the Co-op Program. There is also an application process that you can read about here.
If you are an international student and are interested in participating in the Co-op Program, the Co-op Programs Office (in the Business Career Centre) will help you obtain a Co-op work permit once you are accepted into the program. This will allow you to work to full-time, off campus at any time of the year.
Co-op fees help to cover the operations of the Business Co-op Program including salaries, administration, business development, and individual coaching. As well, some of these fees go toward recruiting Co-op employers, providing networking, scheduling job interviews, and providing on-site visits in the workplace. They are payable in installments as follows:
- One time workshop and administration fee, payable upon acceptance into the program to the UBC Sauder School of Business. This fee also covers pre-employment training workshops. These mandatory workshops, held in Term 1 and Term 2, prepare you for the job search process, help you transition into the workplace, and are a requirement for all Co-op Programs as defined by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE).
- Course tuition fee for each Co-op work term payable to UBC. For each Co-op work term you will be registered in a course (e.g. Comm 380 - WORKTERM I)
*Please note these fees are subject to change annually. Check here for up-to-date amounts.