DATE: May 8, 2013
LOCATION: Earth Sciences Building 1012, 2207 Main Mall, UBC Point Grey Campus, Vancouver V6T 1Z4
ABOUT THE EVENT:
Find out how university studies can be enhanced by technology in this session on Flexible Learning. Speakers include: UBC's President, Professor Stephen Toope, students and faculty including Sauder Marketing Lecturer, Paul Cubbon.
List of speakers:
- Professor Stephen Toope, President
- Paul Cubbon, Lecturer, Marketing, Sauder School of Busines
- Fred Cutler, Associate Professor and Director Undergraduate Program, Political Science
- Mark Edwards, Assistant Dean, Professional Development and Community Engagement, Faculty of Education
- Paul Carter, Senior Instructor, Computer Science
- Peter Loewen, Assistant Professor and Director, Doctor of Pharmacy Programs, Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Simon Bates, Senior Advisor, Teaching and Learning and Academic Director CTLT
In his speaking segment, Sauder Marketing Lecturer, Paul Cubbon will discuss the flipped classroom concept. In this model, the course delivery structure is “flipped”: lectures are viewed online, and knowledge is applied through in-class interactions and activities.The goal, he said, is not to replace face time with video lectures. Instead, in the COMM 101: Business Fundamentals pilot, Cubbon has provided students with short online videos to reduce time needed for the explanation of concepts, allowing for more in-class time for engagement with the material.
THIS EVENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC