Poverty, Inc. Screening and Open Debate
November 19, 6 - 9pm, Heartwood Community Café, 317 East Broadway
“Fighting poverty is big business, but who profits most?"
Watch and share experiences of turning powerless poverty into empowered entrepreneurship
As a Global Entrepreneurship Week partner organization, The Centre for Social Innovation & Impact Investing invites you to the screening of the award winning Poverty, Inc. documentary, in celebration of social entrepreneurship and social innovation as pathways to a better and brighter life for people across the world.
Drawing from over 200 interviews filmed in 20 countries, Poverty, Inc. unearths an uncomfortable side of charity we can no longer ignore. From TOMs Shoes to international adoptions, from solar panels to U.S. agricultural subsidies, the film challenges each of us to ask the tough question: Could I be part of the problem?
The screening of the movie will be followed by an open discussion, led by a panel of inspiring social entrepreneurs who will share their personal stories of changing world paradigms through social innovation.
Debate panel members
- Jeff Kroeker, Faculty, Sauder School of Business, Founder Arc Initiative
- Jana Svedova, Director-Impact Investing, Sauder Centre for Social Innovation & Impact Investing
- Judith Bosire, Consultant, MNP LLP, Member Board of Directors, k̓awat̕si Economic Development Corporation (Gwa'sala-'Nakwaxda'xw Nations)
- Lawrence Buchan, Co-founder, Arbutus Medical
- Thijs Mathot, Co-founder Brighter Investment
All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to Heartwood Community Café. Heartwood is a community focused venue whose goal is to challenge structures like the charity model and to figure out ways to address accessibility and food security through community collaboration and creation.