BA (British Columbia), MA PhD (Stanford)
Asia Pacific Professor in International Business and Public Policy
Professor, Strategy and Business Economics Division
Office Henry Angus 263
Tel (604) 822-8483
Personal Web Page
- Economics of Innovation
- International Trade and Investment
- Industrial Organization
- Entrepreneurial Finance
Courses Taught in 2016-2017
- Managerial Economics (BCom)
Selected Recent Publications
- James Brander, Victor Cui, and Ilan Vertinsky (2017, forthcoming) "China and Intellectual Property Rights: A Challenge to the Rule of Law", Journal of International Business Studies.
- James Brander and Gregor Smith (2017, forthcoming). "Economic Research in Canada: Evolution and Convergence", Canadian Journal of Economics.
- James Brander and Thomas Ross (2017). "Estimating Damages to Direct and Indirect Purchasers in Price-Fixing Actions", Canadian Competition Law Review, 30(1) pp:1-39.
- James Brander and Edward Egan (2017, forthcoming). "The Winner's Curse in Acquisitions of Privately-held Firms", Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, published online doi:10.1016/j.qref.2017.01.010
- James Brander and Edward Egan (2017, forthcoming). "Seniority Wages in the National Hockey League". Eastern Economic Journal, published online doi:10.1057/s41302-016-0070-1
- James Brander and Wei Zhang (2017) "Employee Relations and Innovation: An Empirical Analysis Using Panel Data". Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 27(4) pp. 368-384.
- James Brander, Qianqian Du, and Thomas Hellmann (2015), "The Effects of Government-Sponsored Venture Capital: International Evidence". Review of Finance 19(2): 571-618.,
Links and Other Information