Search 
 
Sauder Exterior New
 

A History of Achievement

The University of British Columbia has a long history of training Canadian and international business leaders that dates back more than 80 years.

1929
UBC offers its first BCom degree through the Faculty of Arts and Science.

1939
UBC's Department of Commerce is founded.

1950
UBC’s School of Commerce is established.

1952
Graduate business education begins at UBC with the introduction of the Master of Commerce, later replaced by the MBA (1955).

1956
UBC establishes a Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration.

1969
The Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration launches the PhD program.

2001
UBC celebrates the opening of Sauder’s second teaching facility, UBC Robson Square.

2001
Establishment of the International MBA program in Shanghai offered in partnership with the Antai College of Economics and Management at Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

2003
The business school is renamed the Sauder School of Business after receiving the largest single private donation ever made to a Canadian business school from William L. Sauder.

2006
UBC announces the naming of the Robert H. Lee Graduate School at the Sauder School of Business in recognition of Robert H. Lee’s gift to support graduate education at the school.

2009
Alliance forged with the Faculty of Management at the University of British Columbia's Okanagan campus, establishing Sauder’s dean as leader of both schools.

2010
The Sauder School of Business and the Robert H. Lee Graduate School unveil the completed first phase of a comprehensive renewal and expansion.

2012
The revitalization and expansion of the Sauder campus is completed, adding 55,000 square feet to the original 216,000 square foot structure.

2012
Professor Robert Helsley appointed Dean of UBC Sauder School of Business replacing Daniel Muzyka, who steps down after 13 years of service.

Image by Nic Lehoux